Celebrate National “Care About Your Indoor Air” Month this February
May 16, 2023
February is National “Care About Your Indoor Air” Month. Why is indoor air so important that it deserves its own month, you ask? The EPA estimates that poor indoor air quality is one of the top five leading factors affecting respiratory health in the country.
With Las Vegas’ warmer temperatures and higher traffic rate, contamination in the air we breathe can be bigger than you may think. But, indoor air quality can often be worse than the air outside.
At Yes! Air Conditioning, we have a number of options to improve your home’s indoor air quality. Anything from a few simple tips to a whole-home indoor air quality system. This February, take our advice and look at how you can improve your indoor air quality!
- Change your air filters. Depending on the unit and your home’s location, it is recommended to change your filter anywhere from once a month to once every three months. Changing an air filter is easy enough for a homeowner to do on his or her own, or can be a quick fix for your HVAC professional.
- Clean your ducts regularly. Check your ducts annually for cleaning needs. Note that the frequency of your duct cleaning may change depending on the number of people in your home, pets, types of filters used, carpet, etc.
- Clean your vents. If your system is outside the home and open to weather changes, like so many in Las Vegas, it can be common for mold to grow on HVAC vents. Mold means there are areas of excessive moisture or humidity, ideal breeding grounds for mold spores. Those sources of water, combined with collections of dust and dirt within your ductwork, are problem spots that can cause a pungent smell throughout your home. Keeping vents clean can go a long way when it comes to maintaining air quality.
- Install a whole-house air purifier, to help keep the air inside your house as clean as possible. These cleaners are designed to help minimize the indoor air pollutants, such as dust and other allergens, so you and your family can breathe easier.
- It can’t be said enough: routine maintenance of your HVAC unit and air filters are key in helping to ensure that your system is clean, running efficiently, safe and healthy for you and your family.
Last Updated: November 21, 2023