Do You Need to Replace Your Gas Furnace?
May 04, 2023
Here are some tips and resources to help you decide when furnace replacement and installation is required for your home.
You don’t want to wake up to a cold house or walk into one after work. Before this happens, you need to check and assess the condition of your gas furnace. You may find it’s time for a new furnace replacement and installation.
Assessing Your Old Gas Furnace
Check the Age of the Furnace
If your furnace was there before you moved in, you need to know how old it is. Look for the furnace repair manual or check the furnace for a model number and a manufacturing date.
Know The Energy Efficiency Rating For Your Furnace
According to the US Energy Star program, new Energy Star-qualified furnaces can be up to 15% percent more efficient than a brand-new standard model. The Environmental Protection Agency states that replacing your old furnace with an Energy Star gas furnace could save you over $90 a year in heating costs.
Assess Its Remaining Lifespan
A typical furnace can last 10-15 years. However, if your old furnace needs frequent repairs and is over 10 years old, it is time to replace it.
Keep your eyes out for signs of gas furnace problems
- Energy bills are going up for no obvious reason
- Your house has uneven heating
- The furnace cycles on and off more frequently than in the past
- You have humidity issues in your home
- Your furnace is making odd sounds like rattling, humming, or buzzing
- You find dust, soot, dirt, or rust particles coming out of the furnace vents
- There are visible signs of rust on the furnace itself
- You see cracks or corrosion on the furnace components
- If you see any of these signs, call ESCO today. We may find that your furnace may need a simple repair, a new filter, or a new thermostat to get it running right.
Find Out the Furnace’s AFUE Rating. AFUE stands for annual fuel utilization efficiency. It is a rating that shows how efficient your furnace operates under normal circumstances. If the AFUE is below 8%, it is time to replace your gas furnace with a more efficient model. Ultra high efficiency furnace can rate as high as 97% efficiency.
Last Updated: September 18, 2023